Currency Museum


First opened on December 5, 1980, Canada's Currency Museum is located on the ground floor of the Bank of Canada in Ottawa. It is the public face of the National Currency Collection, which contains over 100,000 currency-related artifacts from around the world. These include: coins, bank notes, dies, plates, and engraving tools, bank and government ledgers, weights and scales, cash registers, wallets, numismatic medals and cards. The National Currency Collection also encompasses a library and archive, which contain over 8,500 books, pamphlets, catalogues, and journals dating back to the Middle Ages.
The Museum offers various educational programs for school groups and the general public, in both English and French. The creation of a national currency collection was first proposed in the late 1950s by Bank Governor James Coyne. Numismatic consultant G.R.L. Potter was hired in 1959 to help develop the collection. Under his guidance the Bank began collecting artifacts that depicted the development of Canadian currency over the previous 150 years.
By 1962 Sheldon S. Carroll had been hired as the Bank’s first Curator. Governor Louis Rasminsky directed Carroll to develop as complete as possible a collection of Canadian coins, tokens and paper money. Carroll also established collections of ancient, medieval and modern foreign currency, and of artifacts related to banking and monetary matters. The core of the Collection was assembled during this period.
Artifacts were acquired from individual collectors, private-sector firms and public agencies. The collection of J. Douglas Ferguson, perhaps the best-known Canadian numismatist of his time, was purchased in 1963. This acquisition included paper money issued during the French regime, and a selection of ancient, medieval and contemporary coins.
Another significant acquisition came in 1965 with the transfer of a large collection of coins from the Public Archives of Canada. These included the Hart Collection, which had been purchased by the Canadian government in 1883. In 1974 the Bank purchased a large collection from the Château de Ramezay, home of the Numismatic and Antiquarian Society of Montréal, Canada’s first numismatic society. This acquisition included the collection of R.W. MacLauchlan, Canada’s leading numismatist of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
In 1977 the Canadian Secretary of State formally designated the Bank’s acquisitions as the National Currency Collection. The Currency Museum itself opened it doors to the public in the newly-expanded Bank of Canada Building on December 5, 1980.
How to Reach:
 245 Sparks St Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (613) 782-8914
Website:
 http://www.currencymuseum.ca
Most Popular Places

Latest News and Events

WEATHER REPORT

Humidity
12.5°C 98%
 
Culture
Arts, Heritage & Culture Committee
Festivals
Languages
Overview
Education
Carleton University
Ottawa Board of Education
Overview
University of Ottawa
Events
Canada Day
Canadian Tulip Festival
Chamber Music Festival
Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest
International Jazz Festival
Light Across Canada
Rideau Canal Festival
Winterlude
Home
Capital of Canada
History
Major Rivers
Overview
Markets
Bank Street
Byward Market
Chinatown
Preston Street
Rideau Street
Somerset Village
The Glebe
Westbro Village
Museums and Gallery
Bytown Museum
Canada Agriculture Museum
Canada Aviation and Space
Canadian Museum of Civilization
Canadian Museum of Nature
Canada Science and Technology
Canadian War Museum
Currency Museum
National Gallery of Canada
Royal Canadian Mint
Sports
Ottawa Race Weekend
Ottawa Senators NHL Hockey
Transport
Airport
Ottawa Bus Central Station
Ottawa Train Station
Top Attractions
Aboriginal Expo
Bluesfest
Byward Market
Canada Day
Canadian Tulip Festival
Casino du LacLeamy
Gatineau Park
Laurier House
National Arts Centre
Ottawa Jazz Festival
Ottawa Senators Hockey
Parliament Hill
Rideau Canal
Rideau Canal Festival
Rideau Canal Skateway
Rideau Hall
The Diefenbunker
Winterlude